Published: Mon, July 09, 2018
Global Media | By Jackie Banks

Trapped boys in Thai cave write touching letters to parents

Trapped boys in Thai cave write touching letters to parents

The dramatic rescue efforts and the boys' plight have garnered global attention - perhaps most notably at soccer's most widely-watched event, the World Cup. Queue said Thai officials came to him and his other teammates for information about the cave, asking about which route they usually took and what the conditions were like inside.

Officials have said a press conference would be held later this morning at the Pong Pha subdistrict administration office.

Cave rescue experts have said it could be safest to simply supply the boys where they are, and wait for the flooding to subside. Osottanakorn said the team lacked the technology to pinpoint the target.

"The kids are still able to walk around, play around comfortably".

The Thai boys trapped in a cave for two weeks have written letters to their parents, saying "don't worry. we are all strong".

But the boys - ages 11 to 16 - are thought to be novice swimmers at best, and frail after having spent almost two weeks underground since they entered the cave after soccer practice June 23 and were trapped by floodwaters.

Thai officials had been suggesting in public statements that a quick underwater evacuation of the boys and their coach was needed because of the possibility that access to the cave could soon close again due to seasonal monsoon rains expected this weekend.

Rescuers have been unable to extend a hose pumping oxygen all the way to where the boys are, but have brought them some oxygen tanks.

Mission chief Narongsak said in recent days that medic teams had complained about the media presence and they told him "it will be a problem if they have a real emergency situation".

It takes even the most experienced divers up to five hours to swim through jagged, narrow channels from where the boys are to safety outside.

In the early hours of Saturday morning he said the boys were not yet ready to dive-out of the cave, a complex and unsafe task through twisting and jagged submerged passageways.

Around 1,000 people are involved in the complex rescue operation.

Man Utd Star Jesse Lingard Enjoying England's 'New Revolution' Under Gareth Southgate
For many, the World Cup is as much about the chance to explore a new country as packing in as many games as possible. Group H winners Colombia stand in their way at the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow on Tuesday.

Uruguay’s Cavani Has Swollen Calf Not Tear, Federation Says
With or without Ronaldo, Portugal will return to the field on September 10, when it will make its Nations League against Italy. It should be noted that both Ronaldo and Messi would be 37 and 35 respectively when the next World Cup comes around.

In ESPN series finale, George calls move to Thunder 'a handsome thing'
Paul George has reportedly committed to re-signing with the Thunder, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski . Russ is not LeBron James , or any of the other stars the Lakers are convinced they will add to their roster.

The death of the former Thai Navy officer raises concern that the boys aged 11 to 16 - who can not swim - will be unable to escape through the 1.5-mile cave system. "How about a 12-year-old boy that will have to pass through?"

Kunan's death had changed the mood on the ground and made real for rescuers just how unsafe the mission has become.

"Definitely, you can feel it that it has an effect, but we're moving on".

"We hope that, in some way, our words of support may help bring them a little peace and courage in these hard moments of uncertainty and concern".

One of Kunan's longtime friends, Sgt. Anuram Kaewchano, told CNN he was shocked to learn the news. Second message reads, "I miss dad and mum, I think of you every day. Our last trip together was to Malaysia". During this time they have been unable to communicate with their parents.

Four navy SEALs are stationed with the boys to monitor their health, provide them with food and check on oxygen levels.

United States businessman Elon Musk said that engineers from his firms - SpaceX and Boring Company - were headed to Thailand to see if they could help in the rescue effort.

Rescuers have begun final preparations to bring the 12 trapped children and their football coach out of the Tham Luang caves.

The junior soccer players, who disappeared in the Tham Luang cave in the northern province of Chiang Rai on June 23, were discovered on Monday by British divers in a partially flooded chamber.

The saga has captivated Thailand and the rest of the world as rescuers fought to pump out massive quantities of water to help make diving easier.

Heavy monsoon rains are forecast for next week in most of the north, according to Thailand's meteorological department.

Like this: